Explore Buenos Aires
Also Featured In
This delightful, city-center park stretches from the grand, British-built Retiro station at the bottom of the hill up to shady, tree-lined walkways at the top, which is the northern end of the... Read More
This delightful, city-center park stretches from the grand, British-built Retiro station at the bottom of the hill up to shady, tree-lined walkways at the top, which is the northern end of the pedestrian shopping street, Calle Florida. The park is surrounded on all sides by historic, iconic buildings: the art deco skyscraper Edificio Kavanagh, once the tallest building in South America; the Basilica del Santisimo Sacramento, an ornate church; the early 20th century Palacio San Martin, the palace once owned by the wealthy Anchorena family; and the Palacio Paz (now the Circulo Militar), built as the residence of wealthy newspaper founder, Jose C Paz. Near Retiro station is the black marble monument to the soldiers who lost their lives in the Falklands War. With an irony not overlooked by the authorities, it stands opposite the Torre Monumental (more commonly known by its previous name, Torre de los Ingleses), which looks like Big Ben and was a gift from Anglo-Argentines to Argentina for the centennial celebrations.
Avenida Libertador, Maipé, Avenida Santa Fe & Leandro N Alem
- Attractions near Cruise Port: "Look out for the park's giant ombu tree, a native herb of the Argentine Pampas that is renowned for its tremendously wide trunk and canopy-like branches."
- Free Things to Do: "Plaza San Martín is located near the Retiro train station and the bus terminal. Stop by on your way in or out of the city."
- Things to Do with Kids, Sightseeing: "Visit the clock tower (the Torre Monumental), take the stairs or elevator, and enjoy the view from the top of the surrounding area. Entrance is free."
- Outdoor Activities: "Be sure to take a look at the Malvinas/Falkland Islands war memorial as well as admire the clock tower (the Torre Monumental) and pop inside. Entrance is free."
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: Plaza San Martin is a fascinating and pleasant patch of green in the city.
- Best for Free Things to Do, Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing Because: Plaza San Martín is a central patch of green surrounded by several iconic buildings.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The centrally-located park makes for a pleasant place to relax and take in the surrounding sights.