Between Bank Ln & Parliament St
Edit Business Info
The Nassau Public Library and Museum building dates to the late 1790s when it was constructed as a jail. The octagonal design provided for eight individual cells on each of the first two floors, with each cell having the luxury of a window which allowed for cross-ventilation. Converted in 1873 to the first library on New Providence, the cells are now lined with an extensive collection of colonial documents and historic prints in addition to modern-day bestsellers. The veranda surrounding the third level cupola overlooks Nassau's business and shopping areas.