Explore Rio de Janeiro
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Lucy Bryson
This shady botanical garden is a must-visit for anyone with an interest in the fascinating flora and fauna of Rio as well as those just looking for a shady retreat from the sticky heat of the city... Read More
This shady botanical garden is a must-visit for anyone with an interest in the fascinating flora and fauna of Rio as well as those just looking for a shady retreat from the sticky heat of the city streets. Colorful butterflies flutter through some 6,500 species of vegetation, while chattering marmoset monkeys play overhead. The sprawling gardens are spread over some 55 acres, with trails leading from one point of interest to another. It is perfectly possible to spend an entire day in this scenic park, so head here early in the morning to make the most of all there is to see here.
- Holiday Attractions: "Bring a picnic if you're on a budget - the cafes within the park, are somewhat pricey."
- Best Attractions & Activities, Things to Do with Kids, Outdoor Activities, Tours and Excursions, Sightseeing, Museums: "Bring a picnic if you're on a budget - there are several cafes within the park, but they are predictably pricey."
- Family-Friendly Museums: "Bring plenty of insect repellent - the lush vegetation is the natural stomping ground of mosquitoes and other winged beasts."
- Best for Holiday Attractions Because: If you need to shop for last-minute Christmas present, this antiques and arts fair is a good choice, and held each Saturday in December
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: These beautiful gardens are packed with colorful native flora and fauna and provide welcome shade on sticky days.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: If the towering plants don´t impress the kids, then the chattering monkeys and colorful birds overhead should catche their attention.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: A stroll through the beautiful botanical gardens is a low-key way to appreciate Rio's truly great outdoors.
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: Rio´s Botanical Gardens provide scenic respite from the sticky heat of the city, and are home to colorful flora and fauna.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Rio's Botanical Gardens offer a chance to see native flora and fauna in a tranquil setting.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: Kids can keep an eye out for monkeys and colorful birds in the trees overhead, while their parents learn about the flora and fauna of Brazil.
- Best for Museums Because: This vast garden is a veritable open air museum of Brazilian flora and fauna