Explore Rio de Janeiro
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Lucy Bryson
The historic center of Lapa is the setting for a lively street market, held on the first Saturday of each month (and every Saturday in the weeks before Christmas). Browse for everything from antiques... Read More
The historic center of Lapa is the setting for a lively street market, held on the first Saturday of each month (and every Saturday in the weeks before Christmas). Browse for everything from antiques and folk art to handmade fashions and vintage accessories. The sound of live samba music fills the air, the streets throng with shoppers and sightseers, and the many pavement cafes and bars occupying converted colonial buildings do a brisk trade as groups of friends linger over a reviving coffee, refreshing beer or energy-replenishing meal. The market is a great place to pick up Chris gifts and keepsakes as well as vintage clothes, accessories and vinyl records. Local designers also sell their creations here - often at surprisingly accessible prices.
- Best Shopping, Shopping near Cruise Port: "Browse the market before making a purchase rather than snapping up the first thing that takes your fancy - there are lots of tempting things to choose from here."
- Christmas Shopping: "Take time out to relax with a mid-shop drink and a bite to eat at one of the pavement cafes."
- Recommended as Best Shopping Because: The Feira do Rio Antigo is a great opportunity to shop and get acquainted with Rio's historic center at the same time.
- Best for Christmas Shopping Because: This popular antiques, arts and fashion market is held once a week in the run up to Christmas.
- Best for Shopping near Cruise Port Because: A market with a difference, this off-the-beaten track market is worth the 10-minute cab ride.