Rua Prudente de Morais
Rio de Janeiro, 22420-040
- Holiday Attractions, Spas, Romantic Things to Do, Best Attractions & Activities, Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing: "Rio's beaches are its social spaces - don't be afraid to try out your Portuguese if somebody catches your eye on the beach, just make sure they're not already accompanied before you try out your lines!"
- Beaches: "Ipanema is informally divided into social sections that gather at specific ´postos´(lifeguard posts). The most famous is Posto 9, hangout of choice for a young, hip crowd, while there is a designated gay area easily identified by a giant rainbow flag."
- Best for Holiday Attractions Because: Nothing says 'holiday' like lounging in the sun on Ipanema beach - especially when it's the depths of winter back home.
- Best for Spas Because: Massage chairs line the beachfront, offering a chance to relax and unwind against a backdrop of crashing waves and white sands.
- Best for Beaches Because: Considered more chic than neighboring Copacabana, mountain-flanked Ipanema is the hangout of choice for Rio's young and beautiful.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Sunbathe, sip a coconut water and just watch the beautiful people glide by. You'll feel fabulous by association!
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: If you're imagining spectacularly beautiful people lounging on an equally spectacular Rio beach, you're probably thinking of Ipanema.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Sporty types flock here to play soccer, handball, volleyball and a host of other athletic pursuits.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Beautiful views and beautiful people abound at this legendary beach.