Explore Rio de Janeiro
Also Featured In
While Copacabana wins out as the most picture-perfect city beach in Rio, Ipanema is easily the more chic of the two neighboring stretches of sand. Less flanked by high rise hotels than its... Read More
While Copacabana wins out as the most picture-perfect city beach in Rio, Ipanema is easily the more chic of the two neighboring stretches of sand. Less flanked by high rise hotels than its neighbor, Ipanema is the ideal place to while away the hours just working on that tan and watching the beautiful people glide by. There are scores of kiosks selling tempting food and drink, too. The towering twin peaks of the Dois Irmaos (two brothers) mountains frames the beach scene in spectacular fashion, and visitors will find the beach informally divided into social groups. Head to Posto Nove (Lifeguard post 9) for a young, hip crowd, or look for the giant rainbow flag if you're looking for gay-friendly sunbathing and socializing.
Rua Prudente de Morais
Rio de Janeiro, 22420-040
- Ipanema's Best Restaurants, Ipanema's Best Fine Dining, Beach Restaurants, Outdoor Dining, Street Food: "Rio's beaches are its social spaces - don't be afraid to try out your Portuguese if somebody catches your eye on the beach, just make sure they're not already accompanied before you try out your lines!"
- Best for Ipanema's Best Restaurants Because: Enjoying a late night meal on the beachfront is one of the highlights of any stay in Ipanema.
- Best for Ipanema's Best Fine Dining Because: There are some surprisingly sophisticated dining options to be found along Ipanema beachfront, and the gorgeous views make any meal here feel special
- Best for Beach Restaurants Because: The many informal kiosks that line Ipanema beach are wonderful places to enjoy a drink and a bite to eat.
- Best for Outdoor Dining Because: Beautiful views and beautiful people provide a glamorous backdrop to a meal at one of Ipanema's many beachfront bars
- Best for Street Food Because: The beach vendors here offer sandwiches, grilled shrimp, grilled cheese, and ice cream among a wealth of other snacks and treats.