Explore Palm Springs
In 1983, after decades of acquisition, Jim Ruddy decided to display his extensive collection of general store memorabilia, much of it dating back to the 1940s. These days, visitors can step into the... Read More
In 1983, after decades of acquisition, Jim Ruddy decided to display his extensive collection of general store memorabilia, much of it dating back to the 1940s. These days, visitors can step into the past thanks to his re-imagined but authentic general store. Not only does it boast more than 6000 items, but many of them have never been used and are in pristine condition. Among the objects you'll encounter are health and hygience products, packaged foods, clothing, and even medicines, ointments, and creams. While you can't actually buy any of the general store items in this museum, Ruddy's General Store is a fascinating time capsule.
221 S Palm Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA 92262
- Oct-Jun: Thu-Sun; 10am-4pm
- July-Sep: Sat-Sun; 10am-4pm
- Adult $1; Child (11 and under) Free
- Museums: "The General Store Museum is right next to the Agua Caliente Cultural Museum and McCallum Adobe. All three museums are relatively short visits, so plan to visit them all in one trip."
- Best for Museums Because: Ruddy's General Store Museum is a nostalgic re-imagining of an authentic 1940s general store. It is filled with unopened products from the early 20th century.