Explore San Diego
Also Featured In
With over 85 cultural and recreational facilities, Balboa Park is a must-see. It's probably best to start at the Visitor's Center to grab a map and events calendar (if you aren't able to use the... Read More
With over 85 cultural and recreational facilities, Balboa Park is a must-see. It's probably best to start at the Visitor's Center to grab a map and events calendar (if you aren't able to use the iPhone App), or to purchase a Balboa Park Passport, which provides entrance to most of park's attractions via one ticket. The Zoo is a big attraction, but there are also 15 museums, cultural centers, lawn bowling, a carousel, and a miniature railroad ride. Getting around the massive complex is easy, thanks to the free tram. Entrance to the park is free while attractions within the park are priced individually. Residents can visit certain museums for free on Tuesdays.
- Visitor Center Hours: Daily 9:30am-4:30pm
- Park Is Open 24 Hours: Daily
- Hours May Vary Seasonally
- Entrance to Balboa Park Free
Passport to Balboa Park Adult $40; Child (6-12) $21
- Best Attractions & Activities, Things to Do with Kids: "Download the Balboa Park iPhone App which will tell you everything you need to know about visiting this historic area. Don't forget to duck into the gift shops for unique gifts all ages will enjoy."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Download the Balboa Park iPhone app for maps and updates. The gift shops have pretty jewelry, too, for a special gift."
- Free Things to Do: "San Diego residents should check the schedule for Residents Free Tuesdays, where a rotating list of museums offer free admission."
- Outdoor Activities: "Download the Balboa Park mobile app for maps, hours and events happening during your visit."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: It's the nation's largest urban cultural park and full of diverse fun for all ages. The gardens are stunning, too.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The nation's largest urban cultural park has 15 museums to browse and a number of stunning gardens.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The gardens are scenic and even residents acknowledge not touring the museums as much as they should. Make it a date!
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: It's the nation's largest urban cultural park. The Timken Museum is always free as are the gardens.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: It's the nation's largest urban cultural park, free to enter and a must-visit San Diego attraction.