Explore San Diego
Also Featured In
For ocean-related adventure activities, this is the beach to visit. Located in front of the La Jolla Shores Hotel, La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club and playground of Kellogg Park, La Jolla Shoes beach... Read More
For ocean-related adventure activities, this is the beach to visit. Located in front of the La Jolla Shores Hotel, La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club and playground of Kellogg Park, La Jolla Shoes beach is one of the best in San Diego. A mile of flat sand and usually calm ocean make this area perfect for families. The La Jolla Shores business district on Avenida de la Playa (about a 5 minute walk from the beach) has several tour companies who will take you on a kayak tour and teach you how to surf, stand up paddle board or even scuba dive in the marine life rich underwater park beyond the waves. The beach is clearly divided so that surfers stay away from swimmers. In the summer you can swim with leopard sharks who incubate on the beach's warm waters.
- Things to Do with Kids: "Surf Diva in La Jolla Shores will teach kids ages 5 and up how to surf. Parking can get hectic during the summer so get their early to avoid."
- Free Things to Do: "The big (free) parking lot can get crowded on weekends and peak times to get here early."
- Beaches: "Parking is tough when the weather is nice, but just get there early. Dogs are allowed on leashes in the morning and evenings (time varies by season)."
- Outdoor Activities: "This is an excellent place to learn how to surf or kayak the La Jolla Caves."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: There's plenty of flat sand, waves to surf, an underwater park to explore and then some.
- Best for Free Things to Do, Outdoor Activities Because: It's one of San Diego's nicest beaches, has a playground for young kids and allows dogs in the evening and early mornings.
- Best for Beaches Because: Go here for water sports like surfing, kayaking, snorkeling and scuba. Kids love the playground and there's plenty of white sand for lounging, too.