Explore San Diego
Also Featured In
Portuguese explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo is credited with discovering San Diego in the 16th century. The Cabrillo Monument, located on the cliffs of Point Loma where he is thought to have first set... Read More
Portuguese explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo is credited with discovering San Diego in the 16th century. The Cabrillo Monument, located on the cliffs of Point Loma where he is thought to have first set foot, is dedicated to telling the story via displays and films at the Visitor's Center. The view of Downtown San Diego over the Pacific Ocean from here is postcard-perfect. Snap away and then also pose next Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo's giant statue. There is also a two-mile walking trail, areas for picnics, tidepools to explore and much more for a fun half-day out. Whales can be seen from here during the early winter months.
- Daily 9am-5pm
- $5/car, $3 pedestrian; Annual Cabrillo Park Pass (unlimited access for one year) $15
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Plan to spend some time at the tide pools, one of the last and best-preserved rocky Intertidal areas open to the public. They're located below the Cabrillo Monument."
- Romantic Things to Do, Attractions near Cruise Port, Outdoor Activities: "Follow signs to the Tide Pools leading down from the monument for a view of fascinating sea life nestled between the craggy cliffs jutting out into the Pacific Ocean."
- Sightseeing: "Plan to spend some time at the tide pools, one of the last and best-preserved rocky Intertidal areas open to the public, located below the Cabrillo Monument."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Cabrillo Monument is an often-overlooked National Park with incredibly scenic views. Kids love it, too.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The perfect time to catch up on conversation is during a scenic walk at this beautiful National Park. Picnic or just sit and admire the view.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: It's San Diego's only National Park with spectacular views, picnic areas, historic tidbits and tidepools.
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: For those who have cars (catching a cab here may be tough) and love National Parks, this is one of San Diego's best views.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: This National Park is a fabulous mix of education and entertainment with stunning view to boot.