Explore Santa Barbara
Also Featured In
Considered one of the most beautiful government buildings in America, Santa Barbara's historic Spanish-Moorish style courthouse draws thousands of visitors each year and is actually the second... Read More
Considered one of the most beautiful government buildings in America, Santa Barbara's historic Spanish-Moorish style courthouse draws thousands of visitors each year and is actually the second courthouse on this site, constructed after an earthquake damaged the original Greek revival building in 1925. Although civic court functions are still part of daily life in this bustling structure, there are two sights you absolutely cannot miss: the Mural Room and the El Mirador clock tower. The Mural Room, a popular site for weddings, is the jewel of the Courthouse, showcasing painter Daniel Sayre Groesbeck's romanticized version of Santa Barbara's history over 6,000 square feet of wall space. Not to be outdone, the clock tower allows for a breathtaking 365-degree view of the city. And don't worry... although one end of the building was originally used as a jail, prisoners are no longer housed in this must-see destination.
- Information booth Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm, Sat-Sun 10am-4:30pm. Guided tours Mon-Sat 2pm, Mon/Tue/Fri 10:30am
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Climb or ride up to the top of the clock tower for a 360-degree view of Santa Barbara. It's completely free!"
- Romantic Things to Do: "Climb or ride to the top of the courthouse clock tower for a 360-degree view of Santa Barbara."
- Free Things to Do: "Go up the clock tower to get an magnificent 365-degree view of the city, then visit the incredible Mural Room."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Santa Barbara Courthouse has been called the most beautiful government building in America. You have to see it to believe it!
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Lush, tropical gardens surround the Courthouse, ideal for an afternoon picnic or some al fresco sketching.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Lush, tropical gardens surround the courthouse, ideal for an afternoon picnic or some outdoor sketching.