Explore Costa Rica
Also Featured In
What was once a modest establishment for artsy types has become one of San Jose's trendiest spots for all walks of life, especially the young and hip set, who flock to El Cuartel de la Boca del Monte... Read More
What was once a modest establishment for artsy types has become one of San Jose's trendiest spots for all walks of life, especially the young and hip set, who flock to El Cuartel de la Boca del Monte for the scene, the bar, and the live music, which is on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. One section of the old Costa Rican style house that was remodeled back in 1985 has been fashioned into its own little bar, called La Esquina, which is a nice place to tuck into an appetizer like green plantain ceviche or the Cuartel salad, and sip on one of the 200+ cocktails on the menu.
Avenida 1 & Calles 21/23
- Restaurant/Bar: Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm, 6pm-2am; Sat-Sun 6pm-2am
- Event Dates and Times Vary
- Cover Charge: CRC4000; Cover Charge Depends on Gender
- San José's Best Nightlife: "An enforced dress code prohibits flips flops, shorts, and jeans."
- Brew Pubs, Night Clubs, Bars, Dance Clubs: "Don't forget the dress code, El Cuartel de la Boca del Monte is a hip place to see and be seen, and jeans and flip flops will not be tolerated. Get there early to nab a seat at the little bar, La Esquina."
- Best for San José's Best Nightlife Because: La Esquina, the charming little bar for drinks and dinner.
- Best for Brew Pubs Because: La Esquina, the little Bar of El Cuartel, stocks ice cold Imperials and Pilsens.
- Best for Night Clubs Because: Excellent cuisine and an upscale dance club are highlights of this historical establishment.
- Best for Bars Because: The classic little La Esquina has evolved into a trendy bar with strong drinks and tasty tapas.
- Best for Dance Clubs Because: Dance with a well-heeled crowd at this chic San Jose club.