Also Featured In
In 1787, George Washington brought a camel to Mount Vernon to entertain his guests. During the Christmas season, patrons will be able to meet a camel at Old Hickory's home. How many other places offer... Read More
In 1787, George Washington brought a camel to Mount Vernon to entertain his guests. During the Christmas season, patrons will be able to meet a camel at Old Hickory's home. How many other places offer that during the holiday time? Take in the beautiful decorations including 12 Christmas trees and watch historical chocolate-making demonstrations. Guests will also get a rare look at the mansion's third floor and learn how the Washington family celebrated Christmas more than 200 years ago. If you can't make it during the day, the candlelight tour with fireside caroling is not to be missed and Christmas Illuminations offers fireworks before without having to stay up to midnight. METRO: Huntington Station
3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Hwy
Mount Vernon, VA 22121
- Apr-Aug: Daily; 8am-5pm
- Sep-Oct: Daily; 9am-5pm
- Nov-Feb: Daily; 9am-4pm
- Mar: Daily; 9am-5pm
- Adult $20; Senior (62+) $19; Child (6-11) $10; Child (5 and under) Free
- Holiday Attractions: "The show runs only during daytime hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Nov. 25 to Jan. 6."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "It is said that George Washington was a dog lover and so is his estate. Dogs may also come along on your visit. Just make sure to clean up after them."
- Historic Sites: "Spring is the busiest season so if you don't like crowds avoid the landmark during March, April and May."
- Museums: "A majority of your visit will be spent outdoors so dress accordingly."
- Best for Holiday Attractions Because: In an area that cherishes history, Christmas at Mount Vernon is a fun event to see how the holiday was celebrated more than 200 years ago.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: When not leading armies and helping to birth the nation, George Washington spent five decades expanding the mansion his father built in 1735.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: A great place to learn more about the man who helped form and lead the nation during its infancy.
- Best for Museums Because: Mount Vernon is the most popular historic estate in the country and offers a great glimpse at George Washington's life after the presidency.