Also Featured In
Alright, so romance and Abraham Lincoln may not seem like they go together but take in the memorial at night. The ambience will truly take your breathe away. To serve as a symbol of unity, strength... Read More
Alright, so romance and Abraham Lincoln may not seem like they go together but take in the memorial at night. The ambience will truly take your breathe away. To serve as a symbol of unity, strength and wisdom, the 16th president Abraham Lincoln is honored with this memorial featuring a statue seated below the inscription, "In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever." Completed 57 years after his assassination, the Greek Doric temple was also the site for the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s iconic 'I Have A Dream' speech delivered during the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom rally in 1963. Metro: Smithsonian.
- Daily Open 24 Hours
- Romantic Things to Do, Sightseeing: "Look for the fasces – bundle of rods bound by a leather thong – positioned throughout the memorial."
- Free Things to Do: "Look on the outside of the memorial to see the names of the 36 states in the Union at the time of Lincoln's death."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Look at the frieze to find the names of the 36 states in the union at the time of President Lincoln's death."
- Historic Sites: "Look to the frieze to see the names of the 36 states in the Union at the time of Lincoln's assassination."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Take a stroll by this memorial at night. It is truly a site to behold with the one you love.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: In a district full of memorials, this is the one to visit if you have limited touring time.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The site honors the man who helped free a people and provided a backdrop for one of the most historic speeches ever given.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Not only can you see the memorial but also get great views of the National Mall, Reflecting Pool and Washington Monument.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: The backdrop for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s 'I Have A Dream' speech, the memorial is a must-see.