Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of used in book.
Teeming with natural, archeological and historical appeal, the Deering Estate proves endlessly engaging. Excavations at the bayfront compound originally owned by Charles Deering (whose brother James... Read More
Teeming with natural, archeological and historical appeal, the Deering Estate proves endlessly engaging. Excavations at the bayfront compound originally owned by Charles Deering (whose brother James built Vizcaya) have uncovered the remains of prehistoric animals, and evidence suggests that Paleo-Indians were here more than 10,000 years ago. Historic buildings also distinguish the 420-acre property � the 1922 Stone House, Richmond Cottage and 19th-century Richmond Hall. For an altogether different perspective of the estate, reserve a spot on the weekend canoe tour. The Deering Estate's monthly events calendars hosts everything from moonlit concerts to nighttime kayaking to community-driven classes and seminars.
- Daily 10am-4pm
- Adult $12; Child (4-14) $7; Child (3 and under) Free
- Holiday Attractions: "Check their online calendar for more info on all special events. And don't forget your camera--their classic, holiday decor is second to none."
- Romantic Things to Do: "If you're really strapped, visit your local library and see if they have a free museum pass for Deering, which should be good for one visit within a week for up to four people."
- Best for Holiday Attractions Because: This year's holiday programming includes story time and photos with Santa, a festive wreath-making workshop, Holiday Bay Cruise, the Mistletoe and Martinis benefit, and more!
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Pristine bay views and classic architecture...If it's good enough to be a wedding venue, it's good enough for a date.