Also Featured In
This gorgeous architectural gem, completed in the 17th century, is located in the city's Faubourg-St-Germain region. It was created by Louis XIV, the Sun King, as a home for aged soldiers and... Read More
This gorgeous architectural gem, completed in the 17th century, is located in the city's Faubourg-St-Germain region. It was created by Louis XIV, the Sun King, as a home for aged soldiers and disabled/ injured veterans. Among its prominent features are a sweeping esplanade, a series of gardens, and a striking domed church, where Napoleon I and other military heroes are interred. One of those military heroes is Turenne, one of the most famous marshals of France, whose tomb was installed in 1800 under the Dome. It wasn't until 1840 that Napoleon I's body was transferred to this site under the direction of King Louis-Philippe. The Emperor passed away on St. Helena in 1821. Also at this location is the Mus�de l'Arm� an outstanding art and military history museum, with extensive armament collections. METRO: Invalides, Latour Maubourg
- Oct - Mar: Daily 10am-5pm
- Apr - Sep: Daily 10am-6pm
- Adult 8; Student 6; Child (0-17) Free; Ticket Concessions Available
- Best Attractions & Activities, Sightseeing, Historic Sites: "Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte's body wasn't interred in the tomb here under the Dome until April 2, 1861. The body was initially transferred in 1840. The architect Visconti, commissioned by King Louis-Philippe, designed the tomb and assisted with the extensive excavations underneath prior to the installation of the tomb."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: In the summer months catch the evening light and sound show. It's an exhilarating romp through Paris history from the perspective of this location.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: One of the most breathtaking monuments in Paris, with its glittering gold dome, this historical site is a must-see while in Paris.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: The tomb of Napoleon I is sculpted from red quartzite and is surrounded by a laurel crown.