Explore Big Island
Also Featured In
Hapuna Beach, nestled between Kawaihae and Puako, is known for being one of the cleanest, most family-friendly beaches on the Big Island. Its smooth, white sands extend far out into the surf, so... Read More
Hapuna Beach, nestled between Kawaihae and Puako, is known for being one of the cleanest, most family-friendly beaches on the Big Island. Its smooth, white sands extend far out into the surf, so wading in the shallows is easy on your feet. During summer months, the beach is at its widest and stays crowded from sunup to sunset; in contrast, winter months bring unfriendly waters with deadly riptides. (Combined with the fact that lifeguards don't work the beach during this season, swimming is unwise.) Beach facilities include camping areas, picnic tables, men's and women's showers, a snack bar, and a pavilion.
Queen Ka'ahumanu Hwy
Kohala Coast, HI 96720
- Attractions near Cruise Port, Outdoor Activities, Romantic Things to Do, Free Things to Do, Parks, Things to Do with Kids, Sightseeing, Beaches: "Spend a full beach day at Hapuna with lunch and ocean toys."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Drive down to the beach to drop everything off before parking back up top."
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: Hapuna Beach Park is a gorgeous white sand beach in the dry and sunny part of Kona.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Hapuna is a gorgeous beach made of find white sand and is nearly always sunny.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Hapuna is a perfect beach for long walks, body surfing and barbecuing.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: As the longest beach on the Big Island, Hapuna offers calm waters, fine what sand, and plenty of space for couples to snorkel and swim.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: As one of the island largest and most picturesque beaches, Hapuna is a favorite for locals and visitors alike.