Explore Big Island
Also Featured In
Make it to the end of scenic Highway 270 and experience the majesty of the Big Island's dramatic Kohala coastline. High above waves that crash onto jagged rocks are several lookout areas that offer... Read More
Make it to the end of scenic Highway 270 and experience the majesty of the Big Island's dramatic Kohala coastline. High above waves that crash onto jagged rocks are several lookout areas that offer sweeping vistas of verdant cliffs and sliver-like waterfalls cascading over them. Folks wanting a touch of adventure can make the strenuous hike down to the black-sand beach at the base of the cliffs. Have care, though: the waters are not good for swimming, and no lifeguards are on duty. Those that spend the day in the valley will want to bring water and food to last the day.
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Take the hike down and enjoy time in the black sand."
- Outdoor Activities, Romantic Things to Do, Best of North Big Island, Free Things to Do, Tours and Excursions: "Adventurous types can take the steep trail down into the valley."
- Sightseeing: "Take the hike down but brings lots of water."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Pololu Valley is a beautiful valley with a rich cultural history.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: The hike down to Pololu Valley leads to a beautiful black sand beach and river.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Home to a deep history and black sand beach, Pololu offers spectacular views or an adventure down into the valley.
- Recommended as Best of North Big Island Because: Pololu Valley is a sacred and beautiful place on the island that shouldn't be missed.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Pololu is one of the most beautiful, as well as historically significant places on the island.