Explore Big Island
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Jade Eckardt
Nestled along the Puna Coast is perhaps the best swimming area on this side of the island, the Champagne Pond. A quite huge natural pond with a natural rock bottom, a rocky beach area on one side and... Read More
Nestled along the Puna Coast is perhaps the best swimming area on this side of the island, the Champagne Pond. A quite huge natural pond with a natural rock bottom, a rocky beach area on one side and backed by rock walls in the back, the pond is a blend of fresh ocean water and quite warm fresh water. Heated naturally by geothermal heat (there's lots of lava activity nearby) the ponds are always completely calm and a perfect place for swimming and snorkeling. Outside of the pond is the open ocean, and please remember not to go in there. There are two ways to get into the pond, which is located right in front of a private community/neighborhood accessed by road only through a locked gate called Beach Lots. So unless you're staying in a vacation in the neighborhood, you'll have to access the pond by the lighthouse road.
Pahoa, HI 96778
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: The arts center preserves Hawaiian culture and crafts and has rare and unique crafts, art and jewelry on display.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Champagne Pond is a beautiful natural semi-warm swimming pool nestled along the coast and by the ocean.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: A day spent at the Champagne Pond includes fun things like snorkeling, swimming, and an adventure over a lava field.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The Champagne Pond is a magical haven, with a calm clear pool and small black sand beach.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Puna is lacking in fine sand and beaches, and the Champagne Pond is by far the best swimming spot in the area.