Chicago's Best Shopping Is In the Heart of its Neighborhoods
One of the best things about shopping in Chicago is the diversity and support for independent shops within neighborhood communities. Sure, the shopping along the Magnificent Mile and Water Tower Place is pretty sweet but if you want to get a real taste of what Chicago offers, step away from Michigan Avenue and hit up the neighborhoods.
For high-end boutiques like Tod’s and Prada, head towards tony Oak Street, literally steps away from Michigan Avenue. Just a touch west is River North where warehouses have been transformed into art galleries within walking distance of one another.
State Street, also known as That Great... Read more »
If you drive, watch out for locals who seem to be confused when it comes to pedestrian crossings.
Local Expert Tip: "Neighboring Bucktown and Wicker Park is a hub for hip shops and great dining."
- Type: Boutique, Haute Couture, Men's Clothing, Shoes and Accessories, Shopping Districts, Specialty Shops
- Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Chicago's toniest shopping destinations may be just one block but it's packed with high-end shops like Prada, Barney's New York and Tod's.
Local Expert Tip: "Most of the shops are closed on Sundays."
Armitage Avenue in Lincoln Park is a walk-able shopping district filled with both indie shops and national brands.
Local Expert Tip: "Order a hot chocolate from Vosges. It comes in three exotic flavors."
- Type: Bookstores, Boutique, Clothing Stores, Department Stores, Fine Craft Galleries, Furniture / Home Decor
- Neighborhood: Downtown
State Street is one of the few shopping areas in Chicago where shoppers can find high-end and bargain shopping within the same block.
Local Expert Tip: "Don't miss Block 37."
- Type: Antique Shops, Bookstores, Boutique, Clothing Stores, Flea Markets, Gift Stores
- Neighborhood: Lake View
Shops in East Lakeview, also known as gay-friendly Boystown, carry everything from adult novelty gifts to... Read more »
Local Expert Tip: "Check out the Brown Elephant Resale Shops of Howard Brown."
Stunning Chicago architecture coupled with high-end shopping and even better sightseeing makes the Mag Mile one of Chicago's best shopping districts.
Local Expert Tip: "Perpetually crowded, the best times are early on weekdays."
- Type: Art Galleries, Boutique, Clothing Stores, Fine Craft Galleries, Furniture / Home Decor, Gift Stores
- Neighborhood: Roscoe Village
Roscoe Village is a quiet family-friendly neighborhood filled with locally owned specialty shops.
Local Expert Tip: "Leave some time to dine as well as shop. "
- Type: Art Galleries, Contemporary Art Galleries, Fine Craft Galleries, Furniture / Home Decor, Sculpture Galleries, Shopping Districts
- Neighborhood: River North
River North is home to the city's densest concentration of art galleries.
Local Expert Tip: "Free Saturday gallery tours feature 4 galleries every week."
- Type: Art Galleries, Bookstores, Boutique, Clothing Stores, Contemporary Art Galleries, Farmers Markets
Andersonville is very indie-friendly and its residents show strong support of the Shop Local movement. It's... Read more »
Local Expert Tip: "Check out the Andersonville Galleria"
In addition to more than 100 shops, Water Tower Place includes a theater house and American Girl Café, one of only three in the country.
Local Expert Tip: "Check out the performances at the new Broadway Playhouse."
From Our Partners
Ready for Your Dream Vacation?