Also Featured In
One of the best preserved monuments and best examples of Ancient Roman architecture in the city is the Colosseum. It took nearly ten years to build one of the world's largest public venues: heroic... Read More
One of the best preserved monuments and best examples of Ancient Roman architecture in the city is the Colosseum. It took nearly ten years to build one of the world's largest public venues: heroic arches, columns and windows that stood 160 feet high and a seating capacity of 50,000 which made this arena so immense and prominent. Construction of the arena was ordered by Vespasian in A.D. 72 and was inaugurated by Titus in A.D. 80 with combat games involving gladiators and animals. Aside from bloody battles, legend has it that Christians were also fed to the lions at the Colosseum. BUS: 87, 571. METRO: Colosseo
Piazza del Colosseo
- Daily 8:30am-Sunset
- Hours May Vary Seasonally
- Ticket is valid for 2 days and includes admission to the Palatine and the Roman Forum Ticket Concessions Available; Adult 12; Senior (66+) Free; Child (0-17) Free
- Sightseeing: "Make sure to check out the Colosseum at night. Companies like Walks of Italy run VIP and evening tours regularly."
- Historic Sites: "Make sure to check out the Colosseum at night. The Moon Over Colosseum night tours take place twice a week."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Admission to the Colosseum also grants you free access to the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill."
- Best for Sightseeing Because: A visit to Rome, really wouldn't be complete without a visit to the world's most famous monument.
- Best for Historic Sites Because: The Colosseum remains one of the most recognizable monument in the world.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Colosseum is the most recognizable monument in the world and is a must-see for all visitors.