Explore New Orleans
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Beth D'Addono
The Mexican love child of local uber chef John Besh and Food Network wunderkind Aarón Sánchez, Johnny Sánchez is the best thing to happen to Poydras Street since Sculpture for New Orleans. A place... Read More
The Mexican love child of local uber chef John Besh and Food Network wunderkind Aarón Sánchez, Johnny Sánchez is the best thing to happen to Poydras Street since Sculpture for New Orleans. A place that gives the option of roasted grasshoppers on the freshly made guac gets a body's attention. The menu is locally charged and full of authentic Mexican flavors. A seasonal specialty, the fried Brussels sprouts "salad" is really a revelatory warm veg dish tossed with bits of roasted squash, pomegranate and queso. The pork belly tacos are sweet with pineapple glaze and savory with swiney goodness. Lamb enchiladas, yellowfin tostados, grilled sweetbread tacos with chorizo, winning flavors abound. There are some interesting (and pricey) wines by the glass along with a very good house margarita and a full list of sipping tequilas. By the way, the place also happens to be gorgeous, bright with a colorful Day of the Dead wall mural and Chihuly-style overhead chandeliers. Service is informed and attentive.
- Restaurants near Smoothie King Center: "Tacos are $2 and margaritas are half off from 2pm to 6pm weekdays."
- Restaurants with Healthy Menus, Late Night, Restaurants near Mercedes-Benz Superdome: "Because the restaurant stays open from 11 am til close, mid afternoon is a sweet spot for avoiding the crowds."
- Best for Restaurants near Smoothie King Center Because: Consistently good fresh-Mex from Aaron Sanchez makes this place a winner.
- Best for Restaurants with Healthy Menus Because: Two celebrity chefs are making beautiful tacos together in the CBD.
- Best for Late Night Because: This hoppin' spot on Poydras seats til 10 during the week and midnight on weekends.
- Best for Restaurants near Mercedes-Benz Superdome Because: Two celebrity chefs are making beautiful tacos together.