Explore New Orleans
Also Featured In
The turquoise and white awning is the first sign of good taste at this flagship of the Brennan family, housed in a gorgeous Victorian mansion in the Garden District since 1880. Sporting a post-Katrina... Read More
The turquoise and white awning is the first sign of good taste at this flagship of the Brennan family, housed in a gorgeous Victorian mansion in the Garden District since 1880. Sporting a post-Katrina redo that combines whimsy with elegance, Commanders is a dressy spot, no shorts or t-shirts and jackets are preferred - but not required - for gents at dinner. The kitchen, where Emeril Lagasse and Paul Prudhomme started and chef Tory McPhail now presides, delivers haute Creole specialties including oysters with absinthe and skillet seared gulf fish. From your first sip of a Sazerac to your last crumb of bread pudding soufflé, you will enjoy Brennan family hospitality at its best. Ask about chef Tory's new line of bottled sauces, all natural and full of flavor, they're a great way to take home a taste of New Orleans.
- Best Restaurants: "Two course lunches are just $16, best enjoyed with 25 cent martinis at lunch - "only" three to a customer."
- Beignets: "Yes, the restaurant serve 25-cent martinis at lunch, reason enough to head to Commander's."
- Romantic Dining: "Have a drink at the back bar - you get there through the kitchen, and ask to see the private wine room for a real wow!"
- Garden District's Best Lunch: "25 cent martinis at lunch. That's all there is to say."
- Garden District's Best Brunch: "Jazz brunch is an epic New Orleans experience at this Creole institution."
- Creole: "Reservations are required at the Palace on Washington Ave."
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: This is an iconic New Orleans eatery, the shining star in the Brennan family crown.
- Best for Beignets Because: This flagship of the Brennan family offers a seminal New Orleans dining experience
- Best for Romantic Dining Because: Bucket list eating starts with Commander's Palace in New Orleans.
- Best for Garden District's Best Lunch Because: Lunching at Commander's Palace allows you to indulge in their scrumptious meals at a fraction of what it would cost at dinner.
- Best for Garden District's Best Brunch Because: Commander's Palace offers a swank brunch priced in the $40s, three courses if Creole goodness that guarantees a special occasion.
- Best for Creole Because: This is a bucket list restaurant that is part of New Orleans dining culture.