The main building's facade is a mosaic of mirrored glass. Unique and curious sculptures fill the grounds, including the gigantic "Cosmic Egg."
You'll see contemporary art from artists who are self-taught. This is distinguished from traditional folk art, which is taught "at the knee" in an identifiable tradition.
Their gift shop has some pretty groovy things for kids of all ages, too.
- Tue-Sun 10am-6pm
- Adult $15.95; Senior (60+) $13.95; Student $9.95; Child (6 and under) Free
- Things to Do with Kids: "If you come early on Sundays, you can find free parking on Key Highway."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Indoors and outdoors art that has an informality that kids can relate to and be inspired by.
- Free Things to Do: "Stop in to the Sideshow @ AVAM. Whether you're picking up a souvenir or need to find a present, this gift shop is full of wonders, curiosities and all manner of fun treasures."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: The exterior of the American Visionary Art Museum is sprinkled sculptures and oddities to delight visitors and whet their appetites for what's in store inside.