In the cafe around the corner, aged wood paneling and recessed bookshelves give off an air of worn-in familiarity, like the creases and contours of a favorite leather chair. You can enjoy more substantial fare like a pulled chicken stew with chipotle and cinnamon in this relaxed atmosphere. Beware: heading down the manned staircase will jack up your bill significantly, so for cheap eats, stick to the taqueria and upstairs cafe.
114 Kenmare St
New York, NY 10012
- Taqueria: Daily Noon-2am
- Café: Mon-Thu Noon-4pm, 5pm-Midnight; Fri Noon-4pm, 5pm-1am; Sat 11pm-3:45pm, 5pm-1am; Sun 11pm-3:45pm, 5pm-Midnight
- Best Value: "If the weather's cooperating, order from the walk-up stand and eat across the street in the park."
- Recommended as Best Value Because: It's a New York gem, and locals know it's always good for a tasty, inexpensive eat.
- SoHo's Best Restaurants: "Try the Pepino Diablo cocktail made with Tanteo Jalapeno tequila, cucumber, agave nectar and fresh lime."
- Best for SoHo's Best Restaurants Because: Locals know it's always good for a tasty, inexpensive eat. In warm weather pick it up and dine in the park.