Explore New York
The historic gateway to America, Manhattan's Lower East Side is home to the place-based Lower East Side Tenement Museum. In the 19th century, millions of European immigrants poured into New York... Read More
The historic gateway to America, Manhattan's Lower East Side is home to the place-based Lower East Side Tenement Museum. In the 19th century, millions of European immigrants poured into New York Harbor. A tour of the Tenement at 97 Orchard Street illustrates the way of life for many of the European arrivals. Recently, the Museum has adopted yet another tenement at 103 Orchard St. that tells the stories of Chinese, Puerto Rican and Jewish immigrants in the mid-20th century. All tours begin and end at 108 Orchard Street. Tours are offered daily with the first tour beginning at 10:15 and the last tour beginning at 5 pm. Special tours: Neighborhood Walking Tour, Shop Life, Sweatshop Workers and Tastings at the Tenement last 90 minutes; all others are 60 minutes.
- Museum Tours: Fri-Wed 10am-6:30pm; Thu 10am-8:30pm
- Museum Shop: Fri-Wed 10am-6:30pm; Thu 10am-8:30pm
- Tours Adult $25; Senior (65+) $20; Student $20
- Historic Sites: "After your visit, refuel at any of the latest the Lower East Side's popular new eateries or hustle your way to Chinatown for an Asian feast. Ask about Thursday night activities."
- Best for Historic Sites Because: Set in a landmarked tenement building, The Museum interprets the lives of more than 7,000 immigrants from 20 nations who called this building home.