Explore New York
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of JaysonPhotography/iStock
Photo courtesy of RobinsonBecquart/iStock
The 800-acre Central Park burst out of the minds of urban visionaries like Frederic Law Olmstead. Joggers, nature lovers and bikers use the park daily. Kids young and old enjoy skating at Wollman... Read More
The 800-acre Central Park burst out of the minds of urban visionaries like Frederic Law Olmstead. Joggers, nature lovers and bikers use the park daily. Kids young and old enjoy skating at Wollman Rink, visiting the Central Park Zoo and riding the Friedsam Memorial Carousel. Sheep Meadow and the Great Lawn host free live performances, including some by The Metropolitan Opera and the New York Philharmonic. Delacorte Theater sets the stage for Shakespeare in the Park; while SummerStage takes over Rumsey Playfields. Join walking tours around the North Woods, a 40-acre forest smack in the city where bird watching groups often hold court.
- Sightseeing: "Don't miss Bethesda Fountain and Imagine Field, an homage to the great Beatle, John Lennon."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Visit Strawberry Fields, and don't forget to make a wish at Bethesda Fountain."
- Free Things to Do: "Don't try to make your plans here hard and fast. You'll likely get lost in the park - instead of stressing out, embrace it."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Don't miss Strawberry Fields; it's decorated with flowers every morning as a vigil to Beatle, John Lennon."
- Best for Sightseeing Because: No trip to NYC would be complete without a walk through this legendary and exceptional park.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Central Park is a beacon for romance, and the perfect place for a couple to spend some time strolling through the streets.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Central Park is as iconic as it gets. There's perhaps no better way to spend a free afternoon.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: No trip to New York City is complete without a stroll through Central Park.
- Things to Do with Kids: "If you have kids who love to climb, consider taking them to Heckscher Playground, with a climbing net, bridges and even an actual cliff. Pack a picnic to enjoy at the top."
- Parks: "Central Park is 150 years old, visited by millions, now it's your turn to experience one of the most famous parks in the world, a man made wonder and the green heart of the city."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Lush greenery is a bit hard to come by in New York City, so families relish the opportunity to blow off steam in Central Park.
- Best for Parks Because: Stroll among 50 fountains, monuments, sculptures, 36 bridges; Central Park Zoo, fun, educational with creature comforts for all ages.