Also Featured In
Battery Park is the quintessential image of Charleston for most Holy City locals. Walking along East Bay Street, with the famous Battery mansions to one side, the Charleston harbor to the other,... Read More
Battery Park is the quintessential image of Charleston for most Holy City locals. Walking along East Bay Street, with the famous Battery mansions to one side, the Charleston harbor to the other, you'll be able to spot Ft. Sumter in the distance, and imagine the first shots of the Civil War that took place here in 1861. Over many centuries, the Battery has seen many wars, such as the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, and was even the hanging grounds for famous pirate Stede Bonnet, among others. Here you are completely surrounded by the charms that Charlestonians love the most- antebellum historic homes, a view of the Ravenel Bridge across the harbor, and centuries old oaks alongside stately palmettos.
E Battery St and Murray Blvd
Charleston, SC 29401
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Pick up fresh baguette sandwiches for picnic supplies from Fast & French on nearby Broad Street, and slow down to Southern time under the shady oaks."
- Parks: "Parking can, at times, be difficult in this area (even though most spaces here aren't metered, a rarity in Charleston). Luckily, this park is within walking or biking distance of anywhere downtown!"
- Outdoor Activities: "Parking can, at times, be difficult in this area. Luckily, this park is within walking or biking distance of anywhere downtown!"
- Free Things to Do: "Any dedicated walkers and runners visiting Charleston will enjoy the Battery's wide, waterfront sidewalk, and fantastic views of the harbor and sunsets!"
- Romantic Things to Do: "On your way to Battery Park & White Point Gardens, pick up picnic supplies at Goat. Sheep. Cow. on Church Street."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: A visit to Charleston isn't complete without a walk along the White Point Gardens and Battery. This area is arguably the city's most photogenic spot.
- Best for Parks Because: Stroll through Battery Park and White Point Gardens for the views: antebellum mansions, Charleston harbor, tall Palmettos, and ancient live oaks. Take it all in.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: A visit to White Point Gardens at the Battery is time well spent under the shade of Palmetto and ancient Live Oak trees.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: The Battery is an iconic site, playing a role in both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, not to mention uniquely beautiful!
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Battery Park is an unmissable destination in downtown Charleston, integral to the city's foundational history and a true destination for beautiful sunrise and sunset viewing.