Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Set on land where the Carolinas' first permanent British settlers made their home in 1670, this 664-acre park property offers not only beautiful surroundings but a living history lesson that the whole... Read More
Set on land where the Carolinas' first permanent British settlers made their home in 1670, this 664-acre park property offers not only beautiful surroundings but a living history lesson that the whole family can enjoy. Found onsite are extensive grounds, a Natural Habitat zoo featuring an Animal Forest home to animals these early settlers would have encountered, along with a replica authentic wooden sailing ship, an experimental garden with plants from the South Carolina colonial era, and a restored village. Along with these wonderful opportunities for historical exploration, you'll find family friendly picnic areas, hiking and biking trails, and beautiful regional plant life, including azaleas, camellias and massive sprawling live oak trees.
- Daily 9am-5pm
- Adult $10; Senior (65+) $6.50; Child (6-15) $6; Child (5 and under) Free
- Plantations: "Unfortunately, there's no major zoo in the Charleston area. Thankfully, Charles Towne Landing's 22 acre Natural Habitat fills in as a full zoo and wildlife environment home to species native to South Carolina's first settlement area."
- Parks: "Charles Towne Landing is an excellent activity for all ages and all seasons, with exhibits and events taking place year-round."
- Outdoor Activities: "Check the Charles Towne Landing website for special events such as musket-firing demonstrations and family movie nights in summer."
- Historic Sites: "Don't miss the Animal Forest at Charles Towne Landing! You can even "adopt" and sponsor one of the indigenous species animals living in the park!"
- Best for Plantations, Historic Sites Because: Charles Towne Landing offers more than the 'typical' plantation setting, becoming more like a life-size educational playground set in coastal South Carolina's colonial era.
- Best for Parks Because: See rare animal species, bike or walk beautiful trails, and learn the history of the area's first English settlement. History abounds at Charles Towne Landing!
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: This National Historic Site is located just a short drive from downtown, and is the site of the first permanent European settlement in the Carolinas.
- Museums: "Check the Charles Towne Landing website for special events such as musket-firing demonstrations and family movie nights in summer."
- Best for Museums Because: This South Carolina State Park, also on the National Register of Historic Places, is more than a plantation or park - it's a historic outdoor museum of sorts, complete with animals, a replica tall ship, events and more.