Also Featured In
One local politico lovingly calls this Memphis favorite "ambrosia of pork" -but locals simply call it the 'Vous. Charlie Vergos started this Memphis landmark in 1948 - selling pork sandwiches and... Read More
One local politico lovingly calls this Memphis favorite "ambrosia of pork" -but locals simply call it the 'Vous. Charlie Vergos started this Memphis landmark in 1948 - selling pork sandwiches and coleslaw on the street, eventually opening this one and only location tucked into a downtown alley. The best bets on the menu are the sausage and cheese plates, barbeque nachos and full slabs of ribs; the waitstaff can be brusque but don't take it personally - they are simply trying to get everyone served in the cavernous basement that is the main dining area. On any given night, the restaurant overflows with a combination of locals and tourists; upstairs, if there's not a private party, there's a simple bar and waiting area - and be prepared to wait. If there is a private party, don't be surprised if the waiting room is actually the alley; in either case, keep your ear out to hear your name called over the tinny microphone.
52 S 2nd St
Memphis, TN 38103
- Tue-Thu: 4:30pm-10:30pm
- Fri: 11am-11pm
- Sat: 11:30am-11pm
- Best for Barbecue Because: The 'Vous is a Memphis institution and not only serves up the overall best barbecue experience, but also a killer sausage and cheese plate.
- Best for Downtown Because: This Memphis institution is a must-visit, and we beet you won't be able to resist its smoky siren's song.
- Best for Family Friendly Because: The 'Vous has loads for kids to love; there's so much movement and action to entertain them, the service is fast, and the food delish.
- Best for Restaurants with Gluten-Free Menus Because: Almost everything on the menu is gluten-free, with the exception of the bread.
- Best for Group Friendly Because: The 'Vous has a huge upstairs space for 300 diners, while it's massive downstairs dining rooms work well for groups of 10 - 30 guests.
- Best for Restaurants near FedExForum Because: The 'Vous is always turning tables quickly, so you can get in and out before the game.