Also Featured In
The basic brick building on South Front might scare some folks away – but trust us, walk in and load up. Gus's is a franchise of the original in Mason, about an hour from Memphis; that eatery... Read More
The basic brick building on South Front might scare some folks away – but trust us, walk in and load up. Gus's is a franchise of the original in Mason, about an hour from Memphis; that eatery opened in 1953 and the chicken was served up in a paper sack. This is the real deal spicy, crunchy, and juicy, served with white bread. And be patient - your particular order doesn't hit the oil until you've ordered. Cold beer (served up in 40-ounce cans) is a nice contrast to the hot chicken. Sides and starters include fried pickles and green tomatoes, beans and slaw, and strangely enough – fried rice. Assuming you have any room left, chess pie is the way to go for dessert.
- Homestyle, Downtown, Best Value, Family Friendly, Take Out: "There are also locations in East Memphis and Collierville for those who can't make it downtown."
- Lunch: "Water, tea, cola - whatever your beverage of choice, keep it handy - you'll need it close to cool off the kick of spice that makes Gus's fried chicken an iconic dish."
- Best for Homestyle Because: We are simply addicted to Gus's spicy recipe and crunchy batter - the ultimate comfort food that's a pure taste of home.
- Best for Lunch Because: Gus's is quick a easy - and if you follow that 'eat like a prince at lunch' advice, the perfect choice for a filling meal.
- Best for Downtown Because: We just can't resist Gus's - and love the mixed crowd of tourists, locals, and fried chicken lovers we meet here.
- Recommended as Best Value Because: You can order by the piece at Gus's - and for about $5, get a huge fried chicken breast and thigh.
- Best for Family Friendly Because: Gus's is a perfect place for the family - sides are sized for sharing.
- Best for Take Out Because: It's simple: if we take out, no one know how much fried chicken we've consumed.