Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of DCVB
The sprawling 370,000-square-foot Dallas Museum of Art, designed by New York architect Edward Larrabee Barnes, offers one of the largest and most impressive art collections in the nation. Its... Read More
The sprawling 370,000-square-foot Dallas Museum of Art, designed by New York architect Edward Larrabee Barnes, offers one of the largest and most impressive art collections in the nation. Its permanent holdings, dating back from the third millennium BC to the present day-- encompass over 23,000 works of paintings, sculptures, jewelry and artifacts from all over the world. Here, you'll find masterpieces from heavy hitters such as Pollock, Rothko, Monet, Rodin and Picasso to name a few. Especially interesting is Wendy and Emory Reves' collection of over 1,400 objects (jewelry, furniture and paintings by impressionist, post-impressionist, and early modernist masters), on display in a 15,000-square-foot replica of their villa on the French Riviera. The museum also hosts regular exhibitions and a diverse array of programming. Beyond the galleries, the museum houses a children's creative zone, a sculpture garden and a cafe featuring a window of Dale Chihuly's glass flowers.
- Tue-Wed: 11am-5pm
- Thu: 11am-9pm
- Fri-Sun: 11am-5pm
- Adult $10; Senior (65+) $7; Student $5; Child (11 and under) Free;
- Downtown Dallas' Best Attractions: "The DMA is free to visit and hosts a wide variety of events and family programs on a regular basis. On the third Friday of the month the museum features a night program filled with activities, concerts and live performances."
- Best for Downtown Dallas' Best Attractions Because: The Dallas Museum of Art houses one of the largest and most impressive art collections in the nation.
- Museums, Attractions near American Airlines Center, Family-Friendly Museums: "Free admission is offered on the first Tuesday of each month. Also, students and teachers (with valid school IDs) get free admission every Thursday night."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Go on a Thursday evening, when there is always a live jazz band, as well as cocktails and food at the onsite cafe."
- Best for Museums Because: The Dallas Museum of Art is the best museum for art lovers in Dallas.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Dallas Museum of Art features famous international works of art and artists.
- Best for Attractions near American Airlines Center Because: The Dallas Museum of Art is perfect for art lovers staying near the American Airlines Center.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: Families will love exploring this huge art museum and rotating exhibits.