Also Featured In
Owner Kan Markawat and his sister Ploy come from a family of traditional foodies, and they have put their love of traditional and hard to find dishes from all over Thailand on display at the lovely... Read More
Owner Kan Markawat and his sister Ploy come from a family of traditional foodies, and they have put their love of traditional and hard to find dishes from all over Thailand on display at the lovely new eatery, The Local, where one can dine in a 70 year old traditional teak home, outfitted with antiques, wooden bird cages, old paddles from the floating market, and bookcases full of Thai cookbooks from throughout the ages. The menu is large and varied and standouts include gaeng lun juan, which comes from the Rama V Royal Court and is made with beef or pork laced with aromatic Thai herbs and shrimp paste, highly aromatic and bursting with flavor. Another menu winner is the gaeng kua pla bai som pan kee maa, a spicy yellow curry fish with hard to find orange leaves from the south, and don't forget to save room for the homemade ice cream and perhaps one of the signature cocktails such as the Safflower, made with Mekong whiskey, safflower, and kumquat juice, and a perfect complement to the food.
32 Sukhumvit Soi 23
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: For traditional hard to find Thai recipes, The Local is an outstanding choice.
- Best for Thai Because: The Local is a great place to sample superb and hard to find traditional and authentic Thai recipes.
- Best for Homestyle Because: For great renditions of hard to find traditional Thai recipes, the Local is one of a kind.
- Best for Group Friendly Because: For outstanding hard to find traditional Thai food, the Local is a great choice.
- Best for Asian Because: The Local is a great place to sample superb and hard to find traditional Thai recipes.