Hog Island just doesn't sound so alluring as an 'ultimate' family vacation destination. That's what a private investor thought when, in 1959, he had the vision to change this Bahamian private island estate to an incredible resort that offers so much noone ever need leave. Renamed Paradise Island, a bridge to Nassau was built, tennis and golf pros hired, and the resort, The Atlantis, was born, living up to its legendary name. In recent years, many more family and kid friendly attractions have been added. Photo courtesy of lototopsin
There are so many awesome things for the entire family to enjoy that are not just kid specific. But the Atlantis does offer many camps, such as the Marine Adventure Camp, Junior Golf Camp and Junior Scuba Explorers, in case mom and dad want to sneak off for some adventure on their own.
The Atlantis Resort has thought of it all, and to give you a sampling, here is a list of the ten best reasons for taking the kids to Paradise Island, Bahamas.
Aquarium at Atlantis Resort — Photo courtesy of ThrasherDave
1. The Aquarium - The Marine Exhibits at the Atlantis Resort are the largest in the Caribbean, and one of the largest in the world. With 14 lagoons and more than 50,000 animals, you and your kids will be fascinated by all the underwater creatures at your disposal at the resort. Be sure to walk through the tunnel at the Aquarium and see the sharks float over your head. From above the water, you can actually see the structure and fellow guests walking through.
2. Mayan Temple Shark Lagoon - Go cruising past Hammerheads and Barracudas at this incredible attraction, where you actually are inches away from these predators, sliding through a clear water slide tube.
Trainer for a Day at Atlantis — Photo courtesy of Atlantis Resort
3. Dolphin Cay - Go hands on and up close with the dolphins and sea lions. Several options are available, from shallow water petting, to being Trainer for a Day, to deep water dives with the dolphins. This marine habitat and rescue/rehabilitation facility is one of the largest of its kind, situated on 14 acres.
4. Water Park - Enjoy a day on the waterslides and mile long river rides, which include current and rapids, or one of the more than 20 beautiful pools on the grounds.
5. Snuba - Yes, Snuba - a combination of snorkeling and scuba, which is an easier way to enjoy the benefits of scuba diving, without the lessons and certification (for ages 8 and up).
Dining at the Gazebo at Atlantis — Photo courtesy of Atlantis Resort
6. Eating - Dine al fresco at the Lagoon Bar and Grill under the beautiful domed ceiling, while watching sharks float by, or check out the casual Seagrapes, where live-action cooking stations may entice your youngster to sign up for the Culinary Adventures Camp, for ages 6-12.
7. Sea Squirts - Kids aged 3-6 get to participate in feeding baby fish, sharks and stingray, taking home a souvenir tshirt.
8. Atlantis Kids Adventures - Designed for 3-12 year olds (little ones need to be potty trained), morning, afternoon and evening programs change daily, offering quiet or excitement at the resorts's Wizardology (rest in alcoves in a talking tree), the Computer Room or Arts and Crafts Room.
9. Crush Nightclub - Yes, a nightclub for teens that will blow their socks off is the hot new thing at Atlantis. 14,000 square feet of amazing sophisticated fun awaits your 13-17 year olds. High tech video walls and dance music create the vibe, while surface tables with touch screens are available for editing photos and posting on Facebook. The Internet Lounge, iPads, Crush Cafe and gaming room will keep them happy for hours (non-alcoholic drinks served, of course). Family time at Crush is allowed from 4-8PM.
10. The Beach - With all the fascinating things offered on the grounds of the resort, it's almost easy to forget nature's most beautiful gift - the incredible clear blue waters of the Bahamas. The waves are a little strong, so be careful with the little ones. A variety of water activities are offered, from jet skiing and banana boats to dolphin excursions, but you and your kids will have the most breathtaking views and thrills from the sky, by parasailing. Boat drivers add to the thrill by dropping you down so that toes may skim the water.
Paradise Island, Bahamas is a vacation treat that will have you wanting to change that expression of once in a lifetime to at least twice!