You only have to visit Telluride once to be romanced by the jagged peaks of the San Juan Mountains framing this mountain destination. Located in southwestern Colorado on the San Miguel River and surrounded on three sides by 14,000 foot peaks, Telluride is located in the valley of a box canyon, while Mountain Village is perched above the valley floor at 9,500 feet. You'll find plenty of reasons to celebrate year-round romance within Telluride's variety of accommodations, world-class restaurants, luxurious spas, and adventures.New Year's Eve in Telluride — Photo courtesy of Telluride Ski Resort
Consider these 10 best romantic things to do in Telluride:
- Telluride’s Victorian downtown main street is perfect for a romantic stroll, shopping, or people-watching together. Back in the 1870’s Telluride was a bustling mining town, filled with infamous outlaws such as Butch Cassidy who robbed his first bank here. Now a renowned ski resort town, Telluride has retained its historic downtown, designated as National historic Landmark District.
- Board a cozy gondola ride for two. Telluride and Mountain Village are connected via a convenient, complimentary 13-minute cozy gondola.
- Take in a show at the historic Sheridan Opera House, which turns 100 years old in 2013.
- Take your sweetie to one of Telluride’s many festivals, such as its most famous, the Telluride Bluegrass Festival with national acts performing on the outdoor amphitheater in June.
- Dining is as much of an adventure as the outdoors with more than 50 restaurants in Telluride, including the America’s highest-altitude restaurant at 11,966 feet, the exclusive Alpino Vino with a wood-burning fireplace and a prix-fixe five-course dinner menu.
- In Telluride, accommodations are as historic as its downtown, including the Hotel Telluride, Hotel Colombia, and the New Sheridan Hotel. Or take the gondola to the Mountain Village for a stay at the Peaks Resort & Spa, ranked among the Top 50 Best Ski Hotels in North America.
- Take your romance outdoors with a hike or backpack to the 365-foot Bridal Veil Falls, Colorado’s longest free-falling waterfall.Backpacking at Trout Lake near Telluride — Photo courtesy of Colorado Tourism Office
- Some couples prefer four-wheel adventures, such as the adrenalin-rushing Imogene Pass to Ouray, passing the old Tomboy mine and fort at 13,114 feet in elevation.
- More than 125 ski runs on 1,700 beauty drenched skiable areas at Telluride Ski Resort are the ideal setting for the best skiing in North America.Take romance to the slopes of Telluride Ski Resort — Photo courtesy of Telluride Ski Resort
- Take your love to the skies by hot air ballooning over the spectacular Ridgway Valley, surrounded by snow capped mountain peaks, lush green mesas, and rugged rocky plateaus.
However you choose to spend your romantic getaway time in Telluride, this Colorado destination makes memories that last a lifetime.