Note from 10Best: Someday, we'll all be ready to pack our suitcases again and head out on our next adventures. In the meantime, we'll keep supporting the places that inspire us. Please check individual company websites for the latest updates.
The first apple orchard in the U.S. was planted in 1625 near Boston's Beacon Hill. Today, more than 7,500 growers are producing apples in all 50 states (according to the U.S. Apple Association). That's 240 million bushels of apples each year. Since each individual apple must be hand-picked during the autumn harvest season, many orchards open their gates for visitors to come and pick their own, often with added autumn entertainment.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Apple Orchards are as follows:
- Beak and Skiff Apple Orchards - LaFayette, N.Y.
- Spicer Orchards Farm Market & Winery - Fenton, Mich.
- Deal's Orchard - Jefferson, Iowa
- Libby & Son U-Picks - Limerick, Maine
- Mercier Orchards - Blue Ridge, Ga.
- Tougas Family Farm - Northborough, Mass.
- Carter Mountain Orchard - Charlottesville, Va.
- Mt View Orchards - Mount Hood, Ore.
- Solebury Orchards - New Hope, Penn.
- Weston's Antique Apples - New Berlin, Wis.
Congratulations to all these winning orchards!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo