The United States' first apple orchard was planted in 1625 near Boston's Beacon Hill. Today there are more than 7,500 growers producing apples across all 50 states (according to the U.S. Apple Association). That's 240 million bushels of apples each year. To help with the harvest, many orchards open their gates for visitors to come and pick their own, often with added autumn entertainment.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Apple Orchards are as follows:
- Beak and Skiff Apple Orchards - LaFayette, N.Y.
- Mercier Orchards - Blue Ridge, Ga.
- Spicer Orchards - Fenton, Mich.
- Deal's Orchard - Jefferson, Iowa
- Eckert's Orchard - Grafton, Illinois
- Libby & Son U-Picks - Limerick, Maine
- Jaswell’s Farm - Smithfield, RI
- Sky Top Orchard - Flat Rock, NC
- Huber's Orchard and Winery - Borden, IN
- Tougas Family Farm - Northborough, Mass.
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
Congratulations to all these winning orchards!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo