Georgia Aquarium takes second place
There's something undeniably captivating about the world beneath the surface of the water, where colorful and sometimes bizarre life forms survive in seascapes vastly unfamiliar to our terrestrial senses. Aquariums make these marine worlds more accessible by showcasing aquatic plants and animals, educating visitors on the vital importance of these unique habitats and helping to conserve and protect our planet's waters.
These 10 aquariums, accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and voted to the top by 10Best readers, represent the best in the U.S. for their high quality exhibits and visitor interactions.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Aquarium are as follows:
- Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies - Gatlinburg, Tenn.
- Georgia Aquarium - Atlanta
- Dallas World Aquarium - Dallas
- Audubon Aquarium of the Americas - New Orleans
- Tennessee Aquarium - Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Newport Aquarium - Newport, Ky.
- Texas State Aquarium - Corpus Christi, Texas
- Adventure Aquarium - Camden, N.J.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium - Monterey, Calif.
- Aquarium of the Pacific - Long Beach, Calif.
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Debra Erickson (International Zoo Educators Association), Kyle McCarthy (Family Travel Forum), Eileen Ogintz (Taking the Kids) and Alan Sironen (Zoo Consultants International) were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of American aquariums and family travel.
Other aquariums nominated in this category included the Alaska SeaLife Center, Aquarium of the Bay, Florida Aquarium, Mystic Aquarium, National Aquarium, New England Aquarium, Oregon Coast Aquarium, Seattle Aquarium, Shedd Aquarium an Steinhart Aquarium.
Congratulations to all these wonderful winning facilities!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo