You don't need to travel abroad to explore prehistory. The United States is dotted with significant archaeological sites that tell a story of our human history. Many of them are open to the public. 10Best teamed up with a panel of archaeology and travel experts to nominate 20 sites for the category of Best Archaeological Site. Then we turned things over to you, our readers, to vote for your favorites and crown the best in the U.S.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Archaeological Site are as follows:
- Ocmulgee National Monument - Macon, Ga.
- Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site - Collinsville, Ill.
- Moundville Archaeological Park - Moundville, Ala.
- Mesa Verde National Park - Mesa Verde, Colo.
- Seminole Canyon State Park & Historic Site - Comstock, Texas
- Poverty Point National Monument - Pioneer, La.
- Legend Rock Petroglyph Site - Thermopolis, Wyo.
- Bandelier National Monument - Los Alamos, N.M.
- Wupatki National Monument - Flagstaff, Ariz.
- Chaco Culture National Historical Park - Nageezi, N.M.
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Larry Bleiberg, Thomas Dowson (Archaeology Travel), Diane Gifford-Gonzalez (Society for American Archaeology), Anna Hider (Roadtrippers) and Timothy R. Pauketat (The Oxford Handbook on North American Archaeology) were chosen based on their extensive knowledge of archaeology and/or American travel.
Other sites nominated in this category included Aztec Ruins National Monument in Aztec, N.M.; First Peoples Buffalo Jump State Park in Ulm, Mont.; Horseshoe Canyon Great Gallery in Moab, Utah; Hudson-Meng Bison Kill Site in Crawford, Neb.; Lava Beds National Monument in Tulelake, Calif.; Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village in Avella, Penn.; Medicine Wheel National Historic Landmark in Big Horn County, Wyo.; Newspaper Rock State Historic Monument in San Juan County, Utah; Ozette Archaeological Site in Neah Bay, Wash. and Serpent Mound in Peebles, Ohio.
Congratulations to all our winners!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo