The Smokin Pig, Jackie Hite's BBQ, Midwood Smokehouse and The Dixie Pig in top five
Many enthusiasts consider South Carolina the birthplace of barbecue, where pit masters have been smoking meats – predominantly pork – low and slow for generations. When you order a BBQ pork sandwich in the Palmetto State, you have a big decision to make: what type of sauce to choose. South Carolina has four of them, a sweet and tangy mustard-based sauce, the original vinegar and pepper sauce, a light tomato sauce and a heavier tomato sauce much like the sauces you'd find throughout the country. Some joints also offer the white sauce most popular in Alabama.
10Best and Sandwich America wanted to find the best BBQ pork sandwich in the state, and to do so, 10Best editors – based in Greenville, SC – joined forces with a local SC food writer and The Food Channel to nominate 20 worthy barbecue joints across the state. We turned it over to you, our readers, to choose the winners, and the results are in.
The top 10 winners in the category Best BBQ Pork Sandwich in South Carolina are as follows:
- Smoky Dreams BBQ - Greenville
- The Smokin Pig - Pendleton
- Jackie Hite's BBQ - Leesville
- Midwood Smokehouse - Columbia
- The Dixie Pig - Rock Hill
- The Pompous Pig - Anderson
- Poogan's Smokehouse - Charleston
- Swig & Swine - Charleston
- Brisket - North Myrtle Beach
- Wholly Smokin' Downtown - Florence
Congratulations to all our winning barbecue restaurants!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo