Soup beans are a winter staple in Appalachia. Not exactly a soup, this dish is made with beans (often pinto beans) slowly simmered with ham, salt and pepper to a thick and creamy consistency, and served with cornbread for sopping up the juices. Depending on the recipe or restaurant, the beans may include diced onions, homemade chow chow or fried potatoes.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Beans & Cornbread in West Virginia are as follows:
- Pufferbelly's Ice Cream Station - Fairmont
- Dutchman's Daughter Restaurant - Fairmont
- The Grill - Charleston
- Harding's Family Restaurant - Charleston
- Tamarack - Beckley
- Bluegrass Kitchen - Charleston
- Tudor's Biscuit World - Multiple Locations
- Hometown Restaurant - Peterstown
- Ruby & Ketchy's - Morgantown
- Central City Cafe - Huntington
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
Congratulations to all these winning restaurants!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo