How do you burgoo? Unless you happen to have spent time in Kentucky’s “burgoo belt,” you might not be familiar with this highly regional stew that’s a staple on the menu of barbecue joints throughout the state. This dish has competing origin stories; some say that it came from Wales and found its way to Kentucky via Virginia. Others claim it was created by French chef Gustave Jaubert while serving a Confederate general in 1860. There are multiple variations of the dish as well, with meats ranging from beef, chicken, pork and mutton to pigeon, rabbit and squirrel finding their way into the stew pot.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Burgoo in Kentucky are as follows:
- Firehouse Sandwich Stop - Buffalo Trace Distillery - Frankfort
- Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn - Owensboro
- Old Hickory Bar-B-Q - Owensboro
- Shack in the Back BBQ - Fairdale
- Keeneland - Lexington
- Dave's Sticky Pig - Madisonville
- Mark's Feedstore - Multiple Locations
- Stella's Kentucky Deli - Lexington
- Talbott Tavern - Bardstown
- Knockum Hill Bar-B-Que - Herndon
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
Congratulations to all these winning restaurants!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo