If there's one thing the Caribbean is known for as much as its beaches, it's its rum. The spirit was first distilled on the islands during the 17th century when sugar plantation slaves discovered molasses – a byproduct of the refining process – could be fermented into alcohol. Caribbean rum producers have spent the centuries since perfecting the process of distillation, aging and blending, and many of the world's best rums come from the Caribbean.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Caribbean Rum Distillery are as follows:
- Topper's Rhum - Sint Maarten
- Appleton Estate - Jamaica
- Ron del Barrilito - Puerto Rico
- Cruzan Rum Distillery - St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
- Demerara Distillers - Guyana
- Callwood Rum Distillery - Tortola, British Virgin Islands
- Cadushy Distillery - Bonaire
- Clarke's Court Rum - Grenada
- John Watling's Distillery - Nassau, Bahamas
- Mount Gay Rum - Barbados
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
Congratulations to all these winning rum makers!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo