Pick a place in the United States, and chances are you're not far from a beautiful and accessible cave or cavern. For the past month, USA TODAY 10Best readers have been voting for their favorite American caves from a pool of 20 nominees scattered from coast to coast. Voting has ended, and the winners are in!
The top 10 winners in the category Best Cave are as follows:
- Kartchner Caverns - Benson, Ariz.
- Niagara Cave - Harmony, Minn.
- Fantastic Caverns - Springfield, Mo.
- Blanchard Springs Caverns - Mountain View, Ark.
- The Lost Sea - Sweetwater, Tenn.
- Ruby Falls - Chattanooga, Tenn.
- DeSoto Caverns - Childersburg, Ala.
- Carlsbad Caverns - Carlsbad, N.M.
- Mammoth Cave - Mammoth Cave, Ky.
- Glenwood Caverns - Glenwood Springs, Colo.
Besides our winners, the following caves were also nominated: Ape Cave in Cougar, Wash.; Cathedral Caverns in Woodville, Ala.; Caverns of Sonora in Sonora, Texas; Jewel Cave in Custer, S.D.; Longhorn Cavern in Burnet, Texas; Luray Caverns in Luray, Va.; Meramec Caverns in Stanton, Mo.; Natural Bridge Caverns in San Antonio; Penn's Cave in Centre Hall, Penn. and Wind Cave in Hot Springs, S.D.
Keep this list handy when planning your summer travels around the nation, and congratulations to all our winning caves!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo