Kendall's Restaurant takes runner-up spot
Although the exact origins of the chicken fried steak or country fried steak are impossible to determine, it's strikingly similar to schnitzel and was likely introduced by German immigrants to the Hill Country of Texas. It takes an inexpensive cut of meat and turns it into a working man’s staple. No matter its origin, the state of Oklahoma has claimed it as their own. Sooners are so serious about their chicken fried steak that in 1988 the state legislature included chicken fried steak in the official Oklahoma State Meal along with fried okra, cornbread, black-eyed peas and pecan pie.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Chicken Fried Steak in Oklahoma are as follows:
- The Red B Restaurant - Idabel
- Kendall's Restaurant - Noble
- Ann's Chicken Fry House - Oklahoma City
- Nelson's Buffeteria - Tulsa
- Savoy Restaurant - Tulsa
- Sunnyside Diner - Oklahoma City
- The Pioneer Woman Mercantile - Pawhuska
- Charleston's Restaurant - Multiple Locations
- Black Bear Diner - Midwest City & Oklahoma City
- Cheever's Cafe - Oklahoma City
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Chef Scotty Irani (In The Kitchen With Scotty), Katie Johnstonbaugh (Dishin & Dishes), Matt Payne and Elaine Warner were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of the state's food scene.
Congratulations to all these winning restaurants!
License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo