Homemades by Suzanne, Padow's Hams & Deli, Darden's Country Store and Old Chickahominy House in top five
Do a Google image search for the word 'sandwich,' and a majority of the results will show some variation of a ham sandwich – perhaps the most quintessential sandwich of them all. While you can find a ham sandwich just about anywhere, there's one state that excels at them, Virginia.
When you bite into a ham sammy in Virginia, you're probably eating country ham, a variety of cured ham popular throughout the south. Virginia's hams became popular during the 1700s when colonists began shipping them back to England, making them one of the first exports from the New World.
10Best and Sandwich America set out to find the best country ham sandwich in the state, and to do so, 10Best editors joined forces with a local Virginia food writer and The Food Channel to nominate 20 worthy restaurants across the state. We asked our readers to vote for their favorites from the list, and the results are in.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Country Ham Sandwich in Virginia are as follows:
- Turner Ham House & Fulks Run Grocery - Fulks Run
- Homemades by Suzanne - Ashland
- Padow's Hams & Deli - Richmond
- Darden's Country Store - Smithfield
- Old Chickahominy House - Williamsburg
- Layne's Country Store - Glasgow
- Yoder's Country Market - Madison
- The Apple House - Linden
- Edwards Virginia Ham Shoppe - Surry
- Gayle's Market - Penn Laird
Congratulations to all our winning ham sandwich shops!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo