Gin gets its name from "Genievre," the French word for juniper. Quickly growing in popularity, this spirit starts with a neutral base spirit distilled with an array of botanicals – not just juniper berries – to give it its distinct aroma and flavor profile.
We asked a panel of American spirits experts to nominate 20 of the best craft gin distilleries in the USA, and four the past four weeks, our readers have been voting daily for their favorites. Many of these distilleries work in small batches using locally-sourced ingredients. Many are family-owned. All take pride in crafting unique gins worthy of sipping as well as mixing into a classic gin and tonic.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Craft Gin Distillery are as follows:
- Hardshore Distilling Company - Portland, Maine
- St. Augustine Distillery - St. Augustine, Fla.
- Durham Distillery - Durham, N.C.
- New Holland Artisan Spirits - Holland, Mich.
- Santa Fe Spirits - Santa Fe
- Backwards Distilling Company - Mills, Wyo.
- Caledonia Spirits - Hardwick, Vt.
- St. George Spirits - Alameda, Calif.
- Leopold Bros. Distillery - Denver
- Corsair Distillery - Bowling Green, Ky.
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Emily Arden Wells (Gastronomista), Brian Christensen (Artisan Spirit Magazine), Erik Holzherr (Wisdom), Laura Johnson (Distillerista), Arthur Shapiro (Booze Business) and Olivier Ward (Gin Foundry) were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of the American craft spirits industry.
Congratulations to all our winning gin distilleries!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo