Sugarcane plantations in the Caribbean began distilling rum during the 17th century from molasses, an inexpensive byproduct of the sugar refining process. The spirit came to the U.S. in 1664 with the opening of the first rum distillery on Staten Island and continued to grow in popularity through the Revolutionary War. Rum has come a long way since those early days, and distilleries across the nation are experimenting with how to craft the finest variations.
We asked a panel of American spirits experts to nominate 20 of the best craft rum distilleries in the USA, and four the past four weeks, our readers have been voting daily for their favorites. Many of these distilleries work in small batches using locally-sourced ingredients. Many are family-owned. All take pride in crafting unique rums worthy of sipping as well as mixing.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Craft Rum Distillery are as follows:
- Wicked Dolphin - Cape Coral, Fla.
- Tailwinds Distilling - Plainfield, Ill.
- Roulaison Distilling Co - New Orleans
- Lyon Distilling Company - St. Michaels, Md.
- New Holland Artisan Spirits - Holland, Mich.
- Cutwater Spirits - San Diego
- Calwise Spirits Co - San Diego
- Malahat Spirits - San Diego
- Richland Distilling Company - Richland, Ga.
- Allegheny Distilling - Pittsburgh
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Emily Arden Wells (Gastronomista), Martin Cate (Smuggler’s Cove), Brian Christensen (Artisan Spirit Magazine), Laura Johnson (Distillerista) and Arthur Shapiro (Booze Business) were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of the American craft spirits industry.
Congratulations to all these winning distilleries.License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo