Sugarcane plantations in the Caribbean began distilling rum during the 17th century from molasses, an inexpensive byproduct of the sugar refining process. The spirit came to the U.S. in 1664 with the opening of the first rum distillery on Staten Island and continued to grow in popularity through the Revolutionary War. Rum has come a long way since those early days, and distilleries across the nation are experimenting with how to craft the finest variations.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Craft Rum Distillery are as follows:
- LYON RUM - St. Michaels, Maryland
- Wicked Dolphin - Cape Coral, Florida
- KoHana Distillers - Kunia Camp, Hawaii
- Muddy River Distillery - Belmont, North Carolina
- Koloa Rum Company - Lihue, Hawaii
- Far North Spirits - Hallock, Minnesota
- Arizona Craft Beverage - Elgin, Arizona
- Bespoken Spirits - Menlo Park, CA
- Three Roll Estate - Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Cardinal Spirits - Bloomington, Indiana
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
Congratulations to all these winning distilleries!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo