Russia and Poland were distilling vodka as early as the 8th or 9th centuries. Since those early days, it has become one of the world's most popular spirits, thanks in large part to its versatility in mixing. But vodka doesn't just belong in cocktails; while some distilleries compete to create the smoothest, clearest and sometimes most flavorless variation, others are embracing vodka by making it with local, high-quality ingredients (not just potatoes anymore) with minimal distillation to allow the natural flavors to shine.
We asked a panel of American spirits experts to nominate 20 of the best craft vodka distilleries in the USA, and four the past four weeks, our readers have been voting daily for their favorites. Many of these distilleries work in small batches using locally-sourced ingredients. Many are family-owned. All take pride in crafting unique vodkas worthy of sipping as well as mixing.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Craft Vodka Distillery are as follows:
- Tom’s Town Distilling Co. - Kansas City, Mo.
- Restless Spirits Distilling Company - Kansas City, Mo.
- Pennsylvania Pure Distilleries - Glenshaw, Penn.
- Black Dog Distillery - Plainfield, Ill.
- Peach Street Distillers - Palisade, Colo.
- Dry Fly Distilling - Spokane, Wash.
- Pinckney Bend Distillery - New Haven, Mo.
- Du Nord Craft Spirits - Minneapolis
- Dented Brick Distillery - Salt Lake City
- Union Horse Distilling Co. - Lenexa, Kan.
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Emily Arden Wells (Gastronomista), Brian Christensen (Artisan Spirit Magazine), Derek Gamlin (Sub Zero Vodka Bar), Laura Johnson (Distillerista) and Arthur Shapiro (Booze Business) were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of the American craft spirits industry.
Congratulations to all these winning distilleries!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo